A stemless plant that grows to 60-100cm tall in tropical, semi-tropical, and arid climates all around the world is mostly cultivated for agricultural and medicinal use.
Some people used it as an indoor plant in a pot for decoration purposes as well.
There is a reason why people use aloe vera as an indoor plant. The fact is that the aloe can burn under the sun. This is the reason that it is grown under pots with sandy soil in bright and sunny conditions where there is less sunlight.
Aloe- vera has been found beneficial in commercial use as well.
The two very beneficial parts of aloe vera are its clear gel and its yellow latex.
The irony is that it is used to make tropical medications as well which are suitable for skin conditions like burns, rashes, psoriasis, and dry skin when it itself gets burned under the sun.
As I said that it is used in topical medications. But what are the tropical medications?
Topical medications can be in the form of lotion, gel, soap, or cosmetics products which are a regime for skin issues and other issues as well.
Not only this it is used as a dietary supplement as well.
But why is it called a dietary supplement?
A lot of studies say that there is a compound called aloin which is a species of aloe in a semi-liquid form that is removed by processing to reduce the toxicity of aloe vera so that It can be safe to take as a dietary supplement.
The high amount of aloe vera in the form of dietary supplements can also cause abdominal pain. Hepatitis and diarrhea. Not only this if one takes a dose of 1 gram per day then it can also cause severe weight loss, cardiac disorders, and kidney disorders. This is the reason that it has been suggested that aloe vera should be taken in less amount to have the best results.
Aloe vera in Australia-
- Depending on the climate region and the size of the land where aloe vera grows, there are several varieties of aloe vera in Australia. The study says that there are a total of 300 species and hybrids of aloe vera in Australia.
- The place in Australia which has a variety of aloe vera plants is- Brisbane botanic garden.
- Australian community believes that the best way to plant aloe vera is into clays or pots because aloe vera likes plenty of sunshine and good drainage as well.
- In Australia, the aloe grows from autumn to spring which makes them a really important and beneficial ingredient for winters.
- Many species can be found in Australia that grow differently and have different qualities that are beneficial and can be used for various reasons as well.
The benefits that Aloe vera juice offers to the body
Aloe vera has many medicinal and therapeutic applications and is a plant species. There are green, gel-filled leaves on the plant. The gel is used by many individuals to treat burns and wounds, and it is often available as juice.
At many health food cafes and natural food stores, Aloe vera juice is a common alternative.
Read more about the potential benefits of drinking aloe vera juice in this article and the possible side effects.
Aloe vera juice benefits can include:
Heartburn is also known as acid reflux, a painful condition involving acid leaving the stomach and moving up the esophagus. Recent research has shown that, without any uncomfortable side effects, aloe vera juice can reduce the symptoms of heartburn.
Several compounds known to act as laxatives are found in aloe vera juice. Although drinking aloe vera juice in individuals with regular bowel movements is unlikely to cause digestive problems, it has shown promise as a way to alleviate constipation.
Can Enhance Symptoms of IBS
The potential cure for irritable bowel syndrome could be Aloe vera juice (IBS). This disorder includes intestinal inflammation, which leads to discomfort and other problems. Aloe has been shown to have properties that are anti-inflammatory.
Rich in vitamin C
9.1 grams of vitamin C is contained in around 8 oz of fortified aloe vera juice. This vitamin, as it is a natural antioxidant and helps combat inflammation, is important for the overall health of a person.
Vitamin C has a number of unique advantages, from reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease in an individual to enhancing the role of the immune system. Having enough vitamin C also increases the ability of the body to absorb iron from foods that are based on plants.
Although the vitamin is found naturally in foods such as bananas, green peppers, broccoli, grapefruit, and tomato juice, another excellent source is fortified aloe vera juice.
The species of aloe vera in Australia-
Aloe vera is evergreen and it is difficult to grow them in cool winters because the cool temperature can darken the foliage of some species of aloe vera but somewhere it also acts as a seasonal bonus to Australian people and hence, they are the essential ingredients for winter gardens.
- ALOE CAMERONII- it is famous among birds and honey bees for dribble nectar because of its fiery flowers. The quality of this species of aloe vera is that it doesn’t min frost and is very adaptable to the range of soils.
- ALOE CHABAUDI- this type of species also adapts well to a variety of soil and climates. With its long-lasting cut flowers, it grows really well in a sunny climate.
- ALOE FEROX- this can be grown in containers. Because of its attractiveness, the honey bees are fond of it. The leaves of the species aloe Ferox produce yellow sap which is bitter in taste and it is also used to cure nail-biting.
- HYBRID- it is also called ALOE X Winteri. With dense branching, it comprises beautiful lemon flowers and orange flowers. And because of its dense branching, it is suitable for hedging as well. they can be grown in the pot but it can be difficult to grow them in clay soils. When grown in a pot, the use of a good propagating mix is a must.
Why is aloe vera a gem like remedy for Australians?
- Aloe vera consist of minerals, and many vitamins along with other active ingredients that have many health benefits.
- Aloe-vera has 3 layers. The inner gel-like layer of the aloe vera has 99 percent of water and the part which is remaining contains amino acids, vitamins, and lipids.
The second layer is made up of latex which consists of glycosides and anthraquinones which are usually called yellow saps. Whereas the outer layer consists of 15 to 20 cells. The best part about the outer layer is that it also protects the inner part of the leaf and also synthesizes proteins and carbohydrates.
As the leaf contains about 300-400 vital components, the Australian community consider aloe vera as really beneficial and the healthiest ingredient to apply and to consume as well.
What aloe vera consists of?
- Aloe vera contains potent ingredients like vitamins A, C, and E that fight off and neutralize free radicals. They also act as an immunity booster which helps to fight any infection.
- It is also considered very important for the growth of bones, teeth, and blood in the body.
- The vitamin E in aloe vera protects the skin from premature aging and also accelerates the healing process.
- Aloe vera also consists of B1, B2, B6, and B12 that helps to detoxify the food and is vital for nucleic acid synthesis.
- The Monosaccharide and Polysaccharides present in aloe vera have antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties that stimulate the immunity of the body. The Monosaccharide and Polysaccharides examples are- aldopentose, cellulose, galactose, arabinose, galacturonic acid, glucose, mannose, and xylose.
- Aloe vera consists of enzymes that reduce inflammation when applied to affected areas of the face. The examples of enzymes that aloe vera consist of are- amylase, bradykinesia, aliiase, alkaline phosphatase, peroxidase, catalase, cellulase, lipase, and carboxypeptidase.
- Hormones like gibberellins and auxins present in aloe vera help in faster wounds and also have extra anti-inflammatory properties.
- Aloe vera also has secondary plant compounds which are present in a very small amount but they are very effective when used pharmacologically. It can also provide anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial effects. In this secondary plant compound, anti-inflammatory effects include salicylic acid and tannic acid.
- The aloe vera can be applied to the face for various skin conditions like acne, insect bites, skin damage. It can be applied to baby skin as well for diaper rash and itchy skin.
Due to its healing properties, it has been found that people use aloe vera gel to soothe insect bites. It should be applied topically for psoriasis conditions, insect or bug bites, abrasions, and even burns.
- The aloe vera content also consists of beneficial vitamins and minerals which can help reduce inflammation, itching, and pain. For example- vitamin E found in the content of aloe vera gel contributes to reducing the redness and it also soothes the skin. The healing process of insect bites is also faster when applied topically on it.
- People suffering from heartburn can also take aloe vera juice in a limited amount to reduce the severity of the disease gastroesophageal Reflux which is caused due to heartburn. When taken in a small amount by consuming 1 to 3 ounces at mealtime can also ease the other digestive problems like constipation.
- Some people use aloe vera as a mouth-wash as well because it is an effective alternative for chemical-based mouthwash. Not only this because of the vitamin c content in aloe vera, but aloe vera also helps to give relief to bleeding and swollen gums as well.
- Consuming 2 tablespoons of aloe vera juice every day can help people with type 2 diabetes to lower blood sugar. Studies say that aloe vera can be very helpful for diabetes treatment as well. The pulp extract present in aloe vera is the cure for diabetic people.
- Aloe vera acts as a relief for people who suffer from constipation, but sparingly. The dose of 0.04 to 0.17 grams of dried aloe vera juice is enough to cure constipation.
- The water-dense leaves of aloe vera consist of complex carbohydrates which act as a pain reliever and a natural moisturizer as well.
- Aloe vera also has great potential to fight breast cancer because of its therapeutic properties. Its therapeutic properties consist of a compound called aloe-emodin which is present in the leaves of aloe vera which slows down the growth of breast cancer with time if taken properly.
- Aloe vera is also considered to prevent dehydration if taken in the form of juice. The aloe vera juice detoxes the body and flush out all the impurities.
- Aloe vera also acts as a detoxifying agent for liver problems because of its rich properties in phytonutrients.
- The important compounds present in aloe vera also helps in making the skin clear, free from wrinkles and acne. Not only this, but it also repairs the skin and protects it from UV damage.
- As it contains important nutrients like vitamin B, C, and E along with folic acid, it is considered a jam-packed drink with lots of nutrients.
- Aloe vera can also be used as a makeup primer, makeup remover. Moisturizer and an excellent treatment for dry and itchy scalp.
How one can plant an aloe vera plant?
-To plant an aloe, do not tease the roots.
-The soil should be put in the bottom of the pot. According to Australians, a terracotta pot is the best as it allows the soil to breathe. The terracotta pots are also sturdier and act as a counterbalance to grow the aloe vera large and doing this can stop them to fall.
-It is also important to keep some broken pieces of pot over the drainage hole because this will allow the water to circulate well and keep the soil in.
-If you want to keep it outdoors, the way to grow them is to add gypsum and grow them in a raised bed or a mound. The key to keeping the plant alive is that does not over-water them.
Aloe vera is excellent pants and it can brighten up your garden as well by making your place more beautiful.